Do you resist change?
Many people do and it is nothing to be ashamed of.
But here is the thing… change is the only thing we can count on.
Everything is constantly changing, whether we like it or not.
Change is the vehicle which allows us to transform and grow.
Barbara DeAngelis says, “When we try to keep things the same, we often end up holding onto people and situations we shouldn’t. We ignore the possibilities for transformation that are presented to us…Resistance to change is one of the most common and deadly ways you may be undermining your growth.”
Such wise words.
Many people, myself included, hoard and hold onto what no longer serves us because we fear change.
We hold onto a job we are miserable at. We hold onto relationships that no longer make us happy. We hold onto habits that bring us down.
What is that you hold onto that isn’t serving you?
Moving forward in life always costs us the past. Everything that we gain always costs us what we must let go of.
Growth can feel really uncomfortable. It can be scary. It can be painful.
Change involves letting go. And that means letting go of people whom we once loved. It means letting go of situations that are no longer serving our greatest good. It means letting go of bad habits so we can move forward into the life that is waiting for us.
For a caterpillar, going into that chrysalis is probably really scary. It doesn’t know what is happening. It is dark and uncomfortable and unknown. But it emerges as a beautiful butterfly- able to fly and create life! What a miraculous transformation.
If the butterfly was able to say no to the change, say no to the chrysalis and ultimately, say no to the transformation, it would stay a caterpillar. But its whole life purpose is designed for bigger and better! It just has to trust, not resist and surrender to life’s flow. We are the exactly the same! It is in our DNA to reach our fullest potential in all areas of our lives.
It is through allowing change that we grow and transform. And isn’t that ultimately what we all want?
In today’s Energy Healing Toolkit, I offer you The Power of Letting Go. This is a very practical exercise to identify and release what you are holding onto so that you can receive something new and head in a different direction. What can you let go of today? I’d love to hear from you!
In private sessions, we delve deeper into your energy, goals and needs.
Thanks for taking this journey with me.
Energy Healing Toolkit
The Power of Letting Go
The universe loves a vacuum. It doesn’t try to give you something new when your hands are full or if you are holding onto something that isn’t serving you. It doesn’t give you something new until you make space to receive it.
In order to grow, you have to let go of where you are. Look at the above image of the trapeze. The woman was safe and comfortable holding onto her partner and swinging back and forth. And then, she decided to have a new experience, to swing from her own space. It took a lot of courage to let go of that predictability, to change direction and reach for the other bar. But imagine the freedom! The exhilaration! The feeling of accomplishment!
We are going to use this metaphor to help you identify and energetically let go of what you need to.
We all have very deep-seated attachments. But often holding on is much harder and causes more pain. In order to grow, you have to let go of who you have been and how you’ve been living that needs to be changed (the dead-end relationship, job you need to quit, bad habit) and turn in a new direction (of who you want to be, want to accomplish, the kind of relationship you wish to have). What can you let go of today?
1) Stand in a comfortable stance with your hands at your sides, feet rooting down and eyes closed.
2) Take three deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
3) In your mind’s eye, visualize something you want to release. See yourself swinging from the trapeze holding onto that deep-seated attachment. It could be a relationship that no longer serves you, the habit you want to release or the job that makes you miserable. See in your mind’s eye a visual representation of what you are holding onto. See the person, place or thing clearly.
4) Start pushing it away with your hands and kicking it away with your feet while taking deep breaths. Say aloud, “I am letting you go. I am ready to grow. I release you with love and light.” See yourself pushing the energy of this situation away from you. Do this five or six times.
5) Take a deep breath and turn in the opposite direction, just like the trapeze artist does. Take a step in this new direction, smile and affirm aloud, “This is not the end of me, this the beginning of a new me.”
6) Keep walking away from the energy you let go. Say aloud, “I am thankful for the role you had in my life, but I have let you go and are clearly headed in a different direction.”
7) Do this once a day for a week for each thing you want to let go of. You are creating an energetic blueprint for letting go, even if you aren’t ready to physically leave your job, your relationship or release the habit.